Food, Beverage, Lodging, Pool, Mobile Home Park/Recreational Camping Area and Youth Camp Licensing

Horizon Environmental Health is responsible for licensing designated food/beverage, lodging, pool, mobile home parks, recreational camping, and youth camp establishments in Douglas and Pope Counties. After initial application, all licenses are renewed on an annual basis (with the exception of Special Event licenses which are issued on an as-needed basis). All licenses expire on December 31 of the year in which they were issued. Licenses are NOT transferable between owners or locations.

License Application Process:

  1. Contact one of the licensed sanitarians for a consultation PRIOR to any change of ownership or new construction.
  2. Complete any orders required (if any).
  3. Prepare and submit a Plan Review Application if required. State law requires that plans be submitted to the regulatory authority (Horizon Environmental Health) for review at least 30 days prior to the planned start of construction.
  4. Complete the 2022 License Application and submit to the Horizon Environmental Health office along with the required fee prior to opening. State law requires at least a 14 day notice to the regulatory authority (Horizon Environmental Health) before the planned opening for business.
  5. License application is reviewed by staff; once approved, your license application is processed and your license is released to you.

What information will I need to complete the license application?

You will need the basic information such as establishment name, establishment location (actual physical address), owner/corporation name, mailing address, phone numbers, worker’s compensation insurance information, and your State of Minnesota Tax ID number and Federal Tax ID number, or your social security number if you do not have a tax ID number. Worker’s compensation insurance information and tax ID number are required information by Minnesota law.

If you are applying for a food license, you will need your Certified Food Manager information.

If you are applying for a public swimming pool/spa license, you will need your Certified Pool Operator information.

If you are applying for a lodging or mobile/manufacture home park or recreational camping area license, you will need to know the exact number of units (rooms, sites) you are applying for.

2022 License Application

2022 Fee Schedule


What Environmental Health Inspects

Horizon Public Health’s Environmental Health staff, commonly known as “health inspectors,” conduct inspections at licensed establishments in Douglas and Pope Counties. Licensed establishments include hotels/motels, private/vacation home rentals, restaurants/bars, public pools, resorts, mobile home parks, campgrounds and school kitchens.  Special events such as fairs and other community celebrations also require an inspection.

What Environmental Health Does Not Inspect

Horizon Public Health’s Environmental Health staff do not inspect meat lockers, bakeries, grocery stores, convenience stores, wineries, breweries, distilleries, farmer’s markets, hospitals, nursing homes and churches to name a few. Church kitchens are not inspected by any government agency as they are exempt from this requirement.  Hospitals and nursing homes are typically inspected by the Minnesota Department of Health; Most other establishments (meat lockers, bakeries, etc.) are typically inspected by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. If you have questions or concerns regarding any of these types of establishments, please contact them at:

Minnesota Department of Agriculture: 800.967.2474 or

Minnesota Department of Health: 651.201.4571 or


Doug Breitkreutz, Registered Sanitarian, 320.763.4437,
Brandon Klein, Registered Sanitarian, 320.762.2986,

Please call or email the sanitarians first if you are coming to the office as their jobs very rarely find them in the office.

If you cannot reach the sanitarians and need to speak to someone right away, please Jessica Peterson, Public Health Supervisor at 320.762.2926.